Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Have a Little Faith

It occurred to me the other day that having steady, consistent faith is not easy. My dad is a devout student of Scripture - it its most correct translation from Greek and Hebrew. One point he often makes is what he considers to be a huge misinterpretation from the old languages to the 'modern' Bible translations: Faith or Belief (a state of mind) vs. Faith-ing (a verb/action/active intent).

While doing some of my own research, I happened upon this online sermon that was really cool. The Pastor says: "When you awoke and went into the bathroom this morning you flipped a light switch and you had faith that it would work. When you get in your car you turn the key and have faith that it will start. When you mail a letter you have faith the postal system will get it to the right address. Every time you walk into a building you are expressing faith in the architect and the workmen. In each instance there was an action. You flipped a switch, you turned a key, you mailed the letter, you walked into a building. The measure of our faith is NOT our “talk” — it’s our “walk”. It is what we do. It is not what we say we will do. Believing is one thing but do you have Faith, do you have an action filled faith? Instead of Faith we should call it Faithing. It is a verb, it requires an action."

He goes on to reference scripture where Peter walked on the water, only because he asked for the action part of faithing to be instilled in him. Peter asked, “Lord if you are Jesus, command me to come.” And Jesus replied, “Come.” 

The Pastor says that 'the Holy Spirit is God’s gift enabling us to live the ideal of grace; to live a life of Faithing. If we proceed under our own efforts, we will likely fail.' SO just when you think you have to DO something to get faith, once again God comes in and says, Nope. Got it covered. Just ask for faith in Me & I will provide it. By the way, the God in my head is sort of witty, sarcastic & humorous.

During a weekly encouragement meeting with a friend I recalled this story I had sort of forgotten about. In my bedroom, right in eyesight when I sit up every morning is this beautiful wooden plaque that simply states "have a little faith". Over three years ago, I packed up my things and left my boyfriend, two cats, my thriving massage practice & family/friends in New England to move back to Kansas City. I was unsure of so many things: what was going on with my body, my relationship, my career. I was simply making a leap of faith that being near my family, in a familiar place, where life is much slower and much less expensive - would help to heal me.

I had sold a bunch of stuff on Craigslist so I could lighten the load for the long 2-day drive. On my last day in NE I had various strangers coming to the house with a mixture of friends stopping by to say adieu. By the end of the day I was emotionally and physically exhaused, but there was yet another visitor knocking. I opened the door, said hello & hugged.....a complete stranger! It was this nice lady who had responded to one of my craigslist ads for some shelves, but I was in total 'goodbye' mode and was apparently hugging everyone.

She ended up staying for awhile, listening to my story while I just started giving her things I hadn't sold. After about an hour of getting to know this cool lady, I went out to help her load her car. She was about to leave when she said, 'hold on a minute - there's something I think I'm supposed to give you.' She grabbed something from her front seat and handed it to me saying, 'You are about to embark on a new chapter in your life & what you are doing is probably really scary, but will definitely lead to good things. I make these and want you to have this.'

And Jesus said, "come"........

No comments:

Post a Comment